Friday, January 11, 2008

Salt Water Mixing Day

Well today is salt water mixing day. My SW tank is 65 gallons and I generally change about 50% of the water every couple of months. To do this I use a Rubbermaid plastic tub that's about 40 or 45 gallons. I use filtered water that is filtered through a Pur 3 stage under sink water filter. It's not quite as good as an osmosis filter but it does a very good job and you can take a drink in between bucket runs to the tub. I then mix in about 12 cups of salt mix. I use Reef Crystal salt when I can. Using two power heads and a 300 watt heater set for 74 degrees, I let this mixture churn and aerate for 24 hours before checking the salinity. Over the next couple of days I will add salt until it matches exactly what is in the tank, usually 1.023. On the last day I will bring the temp up a few degrees to match the tank temperature. It only takes a couple of hours with a 300 watt heater.

In a few days I will tell you my process for getting the old water out and new water in (pictures coming)...

No comments: